Troop 79’s Summer 2021 High Adventure Plans
Every summer our high school age Scouts get an opportunity to stretch their physical and mental endurance at one of the BSA’s high adventure bases. We’re pleased to announce a return to the Charles L. Sommers Canoe Base in Ely, MN in July 2021.
Prepare to spend a full week paddling and portaging through the 1 million acre wilderness of the Boundary Waters like the French Canadian Voyageurs of old! Swim in warm water so clear you can see down 25 feet. Eat handfuls of wild blueberries as you walk the trails between lakes. See waterfalls and ancient petroglyphs left by the indigenous people. Enjoy a place where the loudest sound you’ll hear besides each others’ voices will be the calls of loons.
But this trip isn’t all easy street. We will be paddling our canoes for several hours a day, heavily laden with everything we need to survive. Where the water ends, we’ll need to carry our boats and gear across rough and rocky trails to the next lake or river. And when it gets buggy or rains, which it will, we’ll need to cheerfully shrug it off as just part of the adventure. Roll the summer video here: https://youtu.be/oXw8CDlOeOc
The fine print:
- All attendees must be registered with BSA
- All attendees must be in EXCELLENT physical condition, meet BSA height & weight limits and pass the BSA swim test
- Scouts must be 14 yrs old by July 25, 2021
- $500 deposit due 10/2/20, final balance $600 due 3/1/21 – ALL PAYMENTS NONREFUNDABLE!
- Personal gear, travel meals and souvenirs are the responsibility of each attendee
Contact Mr. Boyle for more information.
[PHOTOS] Northern Tier @Boylesfour